A brief break in time

It’s still a crazy phenomenon to be classed as chronically ill at nineteen. Never would I have thought that I would need to plan days a head for activities so I can rest and make sure I have enough energy to actually do what I want. Five years ago I was the person who was constantly moving. A leg would be bouncing or I would be running. Now, it’s a stark contrast. A planned weekend in Melbourne was something that was a little daunting, but exciting nonetheless. There was a constant thought in the back of my head of what to do if something was to happen, like an intense headache, or a day where I was so exhausted I couldn’t get out of bed. But, that didn’t happen.

I’m extremely lucky to have a best friend who understands my health. She’s seen me when I can’t move, when I’ve gone pale and almost thrown up in Kmart, and she’s sat by me in hospital so I wouldn’t be alone. Knowing that she wouldn’t be annoyed helped ease the worry. Our second day in Melbourne was my worst. I don’t know if it was because my body was worn out from flying and an early start, or from the fact that I haven’t eaten huge meals in a very long time. We had planned to go out for breakfast and we had a delicious meal, and then we were going to the museum. On the way there my stomach started to play up. I got extremely nauseous and the pain was horrible. By the time we reached the museum I headed straight for the bathroom and promptly threw up. There were two more trips to the bathroom before Sam and I decided it was best for me to go back to her brothers and sleep. I can now officially say I’m well acquainted with Melbourne Museum’s bathroom.

This was my first experience with being extremely sick in public. I’m not sure if I should be proud of the way I handled it, or angry that it happened. Despite this episode the rest of the trip was a hit. I ate a lot of food, I laughed until I cried (multiple times), and there was a glimmer of my old self. I didn’t really have to worry too much about how I was feeling, and we managed to fit in “recharge sessions” aka naps, into our days so I was never truly exhausted. There was a night out where I truly felt like a teenager! We went out to a 21st, and what made it better was the fact that I could sit down about 99% of the time so I didn’t feel horrible. This was the night where I drank till I was happy and laughing with my best friend the stupidest things. There was also a midnight snack of doughnuts, which just made everything that much better.


I’m now back home and the trip has caught up with my body. The only time I’ve gotten up from the couch was to pee (tmi?). You see, this weekend I could somewhat forget about my poor health and the only reminder was having to take my meds twice a day. Now I’m getting ready for an endoscopy next Thursday to try and sort out the stomach issues that I’ve been having and maybe get an idea of what’s going on. I’m back to having pain meds by my bedside, in the kitchen and the lounge, just so I don’t have to go too far to get them wherever I am in the house. It’s those small things that give a hint to how my body is constantly working against me, but this trip it finally agreed with me… for the most part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chronic illness, quarantine, and social expectations.

An update of sorts

Doctors, Doctors, Tests, and Scans